Sunday, September 16, 2012

Cover Letter

This is the job advertisement for the job that I am applying for.




16th September 2012


Dear Ms Teo,

Application for Position of C++ developer



I am interested in the C++ Developer position advertised in Recruit express. I was attracted to the ad by my strong interest in software engineering. It is currently my last year studying in the National University of Singapore (NUS) as a computer engineer. I have enclosed my resume with a summary of my qualifications and skills for your review.

I believe that my skill in C++ programming is an ideal match for this position. I have done many projects regarding programming during my time in NUS and therefore possess skills like working efficiently as a team. I am also able meet deadlines under stressful environment as I am used to managing several projects concurrently. And through working in these various projects, I have also developed good written and communication skills which are valuable in the real working environment. I have a positive attitude and I am willing to learn. I believe all these skills are really important in this ever-changing IT industry today.

I have also been actively involved in volunteering work. Few years back, I volunteered myself for an Overseas Community Involvement Program to Chiang Mai where we conducted lessons to the children in the remote villages and helped out in rebuilding of their school. I have also been on a work and travel program to Morey's Piers, USA to work as a ride operator there. As a ride operator, I have to interact with guest on a daily basis and that definitely helped to improve my communication skills. I am also able to experience living independently in a foreign country for 3 months.  

I hereby look forward to be able to work as a C++ developer in your company. Thank you sincerely for your time and consideration. If you need further clarification, you can contact me at my mobile number 9298-5278 or email me at weis0ngyap@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours Sincerely

3 comments:

  1. Hi Wei Song,

    Thank you for posting this cover letter for us to read. It provides us quite a good example.

    This letter shows your great interest in C++, which is good. The letter is clear and concise. I like the ending that express appreciation to the HR, which I forgot in my own letter.

    But, from my thinking, it will be nicer if you add an example on your project and its outcome.

    Finally, here are some language point suggestions.

    1. I am also able meet deadlines under stressful environment > I am also able to meet deadlines under stressful environment ...

    2. And through working in these various projects, > Additionally, through working in these various projects,

    3. I hereby look forward to be able to work as a C++ developer in your company. > I hereby look forward to being able to work as a ...

    Finally, I would be glad if you could come to my blog to give some comments to help me improve my cover letter. Bye now, Wei Song, future C++ developer :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wei Song,

    Nice cover letter. You've mentioned your skills pertaining to the job. The letter is also very clear and concise.

    Here are a few suggestions that can improve your letter:

    1)skills like working efficiently as a team-> elaborate or give more examples.

    2)Few years back, I volunteered myself for an Overseas >>Few years back, I volunteered for an Overseas

    3)I have to interact with guest on>>had to interact with guests..

    Also, you could elaborate a little more on your skills and give a few more examples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Weisong
    This is a simple, clear and sincere cover letter.Good job!

    You were concise in every paragraph in providing certain skills and experiences that may be useful for the position. You also manage not to concentrate too much on technical skills but to balance between technical skills and life skills, which create an impression of well-rounded potential employee.

    However, it would be better if you can add some transition words to enhance to coherence of your CV. For example, at the last part of your 2nd paragraph, I have made changes for you in order to improve the flow : “ I also have a positive attitude and I am willing to learn. Therefore, I believe that all these important skills in IT industry today would equip me well for this position in your company.”
    I have to interact with guest on a daily basis >>>> I had to interact with guests …
    Hope you find it helps.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete