Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Reflecting on Oral Presentation

Firstly, I would like to congratulate everyone for doing a great job for the oral presentation. We have cleared the final hurdle for this course! I also want thank all my group mates for putting in so much effort for our proposal, speech and all the rehearsals for our presentation. It has been a wonderful experience working with all of you guys.

Our group's topic for the oral presentation is on evaluating the no-smoking policy in NUS. I think that this is a very challenging and controversial topic to present on. Our group had even thought of changing our topic during the earlier part of the course because we are afraid we are not able to convince the audience during our final presentation. In the end after the whole presentation, more than half the class supported our idea of having smoking area in NUS and this really made us feel a sense of accomplishment in what we have done. We were really happy and we felt that all of our hard work thus far is all worth it after all.  Looking back now, we had definitely made the right choice to stick to this topic.

For the presentation, I chose to adopte a new style of not using bullet points in my slides. We are also not supposed to refer to cue cards during our presentation and this is quite challenging for me as I am used to present using cue cards. Without the cue cards and the bullet points in the slides, I would have to be know my content really well as there is nothing for me to refer to if I forget a point and that was exactly what happened during the actual presentation. I stumbled a few times and I forgot to mention a few points which I am supposed to. This is partly my fault as I think I did not memorise my part well enough and I am still not used to having nothing to refer to. I also realise that I have many pauses in between my presentation and I did not have enough interaction with the audience throughout my presentation. These are mainly the few areas that I can improve on.

Through this oral presentation, I have learned new presentation skills as well as knowing more about my strengths and weakness in presenting. There is definitely still a lot of areas which I can improve on. In my future presentation, I think I will still choose to do away with my cue cards as that would force me to know my content well instead of just referring to cue cards. It has been a good experience taking this communication class and having a chance to improve on my presentation skills.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Wei Song,

    Your final OP was definitely a marked improvement from the mock one. You had better control over the content and seemed more confident.

    Apart from what you've already mentioned, there are certain areas you can further improve on to develop on your presentation skills.
    I think adding a little voice modulation can help captivate your audience more.
    I noticed your hands were in you pockets for a major part of the presentation. In my opinion this seems a little unprofessional. You can work on your on hand gestures. This can help build a better connection with the audience.

    Regarding the post, I think you have covered most of the important points from preparation to the final delivery.
    Certain suggestions:
    Apply parallel structures throughout when it comes to tense. (esp 3rd para)
    for eg: We are also not supposed to refer>> We were also not supposed.
    because we are afraid we are not able to convince>>we were afraid

    all of our hard work thus far is all worth it after all>> all of our hard work so far is all worth it after all

    There is definitely  still a lot of areas >>There are definitely still a lot of areas ..

    In my future presentation, .. >> future presentations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wei Song!

    Good job on your presentation! Overall, you did well but, just as with everyone in class, there are still aspects to improve on.

    I think you were clear in your delivery. You also sounded very passionate about your topic which is is controversial in nature. I didn't see your mock OP but I am sure you improved.

    Some aspects to work on:

    i noticed that you used 'uh' a lot in your presentations, not too sure if this was conscious, but try to reduce your 'uh' in the future as it can get quite distracting.

    You should try to sound more enthusiastic! You sounded a bit monotonous but I am sure that it can be improved!

    Try not to look at the slides too much, and instead divert your attention to the audience. I noticed you didn't give much eye contact!

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wei Song,

    Thank you for reflecting on your OP. I must say I was really impressed by your oral presentation skills. You showed a marked improvement from your previous presentations. I loved your confidence. You placed yourself well and facilitated discussion.
    You were clear and concise and I really wanted to hear your ideas and know more about your proposal. I particularly liked your topic and the solutions your group came up with seemed relevant and within scope.

    Gwen and Shweta have given you some useful feedback here. I think this can help you improve and do much better than what you already have. I also feel you can focus more on the audience and look less at the slides. That will make you delivery excellent and you will be able to engage your listeners better.

    Nevertheless, great effort and you really impressed and convinced me by your presentation. I will certainly buy your idea.

    Thanks,
    Aditi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Shweta, Gwen and Aditi for pointing our some of my mistakes. I know that I did not do very well for the presentation this time round and there are still my areas which I can improve on such as eye contact, gesture, voice articulation as pointed out by you guys. I will take this as a learning opportunity and note down my the mistakes so that I can further improve on them in my future presentations.

    ReplyDelete